Tuesday, June 17, 2014

First Post of Summer

To be honest, I don't know how to begin this post. I finished my first year of college (almost a month ago.) I arrived home safely (almost three weeks ago.) I started work at my home library again (a little over two weeks ago.) Here is the first blog post of summer- served with a side of procrastination.
I wasn't really procrastinating though, I was adjusting. Actually, I'm still adjusting. I will probably keep adjusting till sometime in the middle of August. Then the new school year will begin and I'll have to start the adjustment process over again as a Sophomore. This is all new to me, okay? First Summer home after being a college student, and I'm still savoring the words college student as if they're brand new. It feels like I just opened up that big white envelope that told me I had been accepted yesterday. I know that a year has passed. I know that I have successfully completed Freshman Year. It's done, over, finis. It's just weird to say the words.
Of course, everybody asks the big question, and when I say the big question, I mean the BIG all inclusive, "so how was your first year of college?" question. Couldn't we start out a little smaller? How about a nice bite size question? Something a little less broad. I mean, how do you summarize a full year down into a socially acceptable and time conscious response? Obviously the answer is going to vary depending on how well I know the person. Some people get a short response, other people get a longer one, the problem I'm having is I'm still answering that question to myself. So how was your first year, Emily?
In the end, my best response is that it changed my life. It changed the way I think about things, respond to situations, and comprehend subjects. It changed me. I'm a different person than the girl who cried her eyes out in a pizza shop the night before I said goodbye to my parents. Not entirely different. I still cried my eyes out when my Mom said goodbye in April after our weekend in New York. I will probably still cry when I leave next August. It's okay to cry though. The tears mean that it matters.
Of course, you can't just throw around sentences like "it was life changing." I mean, that is the truth, but it just doesn't work as a response when somebody asks the question. Instead you say something like "It was good, yeah good. I really like my school, professors are wonderful, classes are great." Something like that.
Anyway, enough about school. This was supposed to be a welcoming summer post. A post about all the lovely sunny days yet to come. A blog post detailing the many blog posts I have planned. It wasn't much of a blog post, but it's a start. 

1 comment: