Thursday, January 9, 2014

Five Lovely First Semester Memories

1.) The Night of The Writers. I call it that because that is what it was, a night where the writers among us gathered together in a writerly pow-wow, and it was the most wonderful night because of it. It started out with Alex and I sitting on a quilt in my bedroom, we both had our laptops out and were pounding feverishly away (as I have said, opportunities for writing during school are few and far between and as such are infinitely precious). Before long Monica joined us with her laptop and Jen with her notebook, and we simply continued sitting on the floor and writing. Later that evening we drank tea and started reading excerpts from our various stories out loud. It will always be one of my favorite memories from First Semester because it signifies so much of what I love about Christendom. I love that I have friends who love to write as much as I do. I love that we had an evening dedicated to writing. When I picture that night I think of us all giggling over Monica's fairytale, each in our own spot on the floor. I can't believe how blessed I am to have found myself in such a wonderful place, amongst such wonderful people. That night was story-book worthy, it deserves to be in a book, four girls, their writing and their tea.


2.) The Snow Day. I love snow. Perhaps this is partially due to growing up in a place where snow is considered either a rare treat by one set of people or a rare curse by another. Whatever the case, the day of the first snow I was extremely excited. I woke up bleary eyed and looking very much like your morning zombie, trudged out the door and down the hall to wash the sleepiness out of my eyes, when I walked past the window I saw a winter wonderland. As you can imagine I ran back into our room like:

 
Poor Jen would have gotten excited, only she had a migraine, so she couldn't. Kiersten doesn't like snow (she gets a lot at home). So my enthusiasm was entirely unwanted. I instantly hushed myself up but silently made this face to myself. 
If nobody else is going to be excited I am going to be excited all by myself.
It really was a wonderful day. Abby and I continuously rolled down hills. It was dizzying and exhilarating. We also got ourselves stuck in a ditch. I don't know how we ended up getting ourselves out of it- but we did.

 
 
3.) Number three is the night Jen and I laughed ourselves into hysterics. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard. I don't even know what we found so terribly amusing, but I do know that it started out as some rather morbid puns and it just went downhill from there. We nearly fell out of the bunk-bed...twice.
 
4.) Then there was the night of the Book Healer gathering. I was working late, so I gathered my book mending supplies and laid my claim on one of the upstairs study rooms of the library. Alex and Monica came to visit me and so we all sat around the table and talked and I glued together the spines of books falling apart. Alex took pictures of me mending and as this is a blog dedicated to the art of book healing I shall include one.
 
There is something physiologically healing in mending books.
 
5.) Avonlea Night. Avonlea Night was THE BEST. Road to Avonlea was my childhood TV show. I watched that show every morning wrapped up in my favorite blanket. So watching it with my dear friends one night at college was the most soothing, lovely thing. Honestly, one of my favorite memories of the whole semester.



1 comment:

  1. The Night of the Writers is probably my favorite college memory. :)

    ReplyDelete