Friday, February 7, 2014

Adventure is Out There

In about an hour I'm leaving on a trip to go skiing. Perhaps I should spend this hour doing something productive (in other words, studying) but the sudden impulse has filled me to write a quick blog post. I've been meaning to sit down and write one ever since last Sunday (I actually do have a more formal one planned, something on the topic of Springtime and new life, but that would involve sitting down and concentrating, and transferring the picture I took from my camera- anyway, you know how it goes.)

I'm really excited to be going skiing though. Not only is skiing something I love, but I feel like I'm going on an adventure, and that's a pleasant feeling, indeed. In Padre's class he often goes on mini rants about what students spend their free time doing. I actually love when Padre goes on one of his rants about that, because there's so much truth to it. There was a Latin phrase that he had us write down in our notebooks (and I would replicate it here but I'm not a Latin scholar and I don't have my notebook with me) but it essentially meant 'work and play hard.' Something along those lines. It's just so true. So much of our time we spend passively doing things, part studying, part procrastinating, part socializing, but never giving our all to any of it, and that's not the way it should be. We should be on fire. When we study we should give our whole mind and heart to what we're working on, when we play it should be to do something memorable and lasting, unlike passively watching movies that you don't even really care about.

That's what I feel like I'm doing today. This is a memorable adventure, it's going out and doing something lasting and worthwhile, with people of my community at college. It's doing something active, exciting and meaningful. Tomorrow I'll be devoting my morning to studying hard, and today I'm going to do something fun.

Emily out.

Longer post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment