Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sunday Morning at College

Sunday mornings at college are lovely. Of course, they still make me a bit homesick, because I miss the Sunday routine at home: going to Mass with my family and then donuts and coffee on the way home. (Yes, I know, Mom, you're shaking your head at me while reading this and reminding me that I romanticize it and that Jack and Riley are in the backseat poking each other with chocolatey fingers, but I'm going to insist that I miss that too. Call me crazy.) Anyway, there's something lovely about the Sunday morning routine here too. I love being able to walk to Mass in the morning. It's one of my favorite things about this campus. I can get up, get ready, put on my coat (and hat and mittens and don't forget the scarf! It's cold here.) and walk down the winding little path, over the little bridge and into our beautiful chapel. (you see? I romanticize everything. I could have described it as an ice cold walk where my fingers turn purple and I start panting like a little puppy- but I won't. I'm going to describe the cold as invigorating.)

Our chapel is beautiful here, and Sunday Mass is the best because the choir sings. Their voices are like angles from above. (That includes Monica. I have such talented friends.)

Another thing I like about Sundays here is brunch. (Not for the food, never for the food) but for the company. I love the atmosphere of Sunday brunch, visiting with people over coffee (Did I mention I always bring my French Press down to the commons for Sunday? I refuse to drink commons coffee because I am a coffee snob and so I bring my own coffee. Aren't I a hipster?) and talking about Aristotle's definition of friendship. Yes, that's the thing I like most about brunch here, it's perfectly normal to jump into a conversation where everyone's arguing wholeheartedly about different interpretations that could be taken from Aristotle. See, that's the thing about Christendom. Everyday life is an education. Education is not restricted to the classroom, or to studying, it stealthily steeps into every conversation. We're growing in our ability not only to think, but to really truly converse. It's so sad looking at people today and seeing how very few truly know what it is to have a good conversation. Conversation tends to be restricted to people, to gossip, and it should be filled with ideas. (I am so sorry for the amount of parenthesis and italics I'm using tonight. I don't know what's happening, other than I feel like I'm whispering when I use parenthesis and sometimes things need extra emphasis.) It's good to have friendships and acquaintanceships  (I don't think that's a word, but I'm using it) with people who want to discuss ideas. It's good to sit down and find yourself in a heated argument about the definition of friendship, which suddenly turns into a sidetracked conversation about Disney music, and then goes back to friendship.

Sunday mornings at college are lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment